Nearly half of transgender schoolchildren have attempted suicide, figures show
Today Stonewall released their School Report 2017 - a study of more than 3,700 LGBT pupils across the UK. While there is much to celebrate, the study also shows how much there is left to do.
- Nearly half of LGBT young people are still bullied for being LGBT at school
- Only one in five have learnt about safe sex in relation to same-sex relationships at school
- LGBT young people continue to experience unacceptably high levels of poor mental health
- Online, nearly all LGBT pupils are exposed to offensive content about LGBT people, and just one in three think that online companies will do something about it if reported.
For trans pupils in particular, the findings are alarming:
- !! nearly two in three trans pupils are bullied for being LGBT at school
- !! one in ten have received death threats
- !!! more than two in five have tried to take their own lives
- !!!! While a growing number of schools are supporting their trans pupils, too many are not equipped to do so. It is vital that this is remedied as a matter of urgency.